Resources that offer information, advice and guidance to employers about apprenticeships. 

HEE Work Experience Framework

This framework sets out how you can reach out to young people, broadening their horizons and raising their aspirations, which will, in turn, create a more diverse workforce within health. You can read it here.

Education and Training Foundation - Provider toolkit - a toolkit aimed at providers but very useful for employer-providers also.


Commissioned by HEE, Skills for Health has developed Healthcare Apprenticeship Standards Online (HASO), a tool to help health sector managers in England find a wide range of apprenticeships to train staff in clinical and non-clinical roles. For all the latest news on apprenticeship standards that are available to deliver, those in development, expressions of interest and to comment on consultations please visit HASO.

HASO toolkit

Building on the series of Strategic Overview of Apprenticeships events sponsored by Health Education England and facilitated by Skills for Health, a programme of work is underway to develop a range of online tools and resources to help you to implement apprenticeships, you can access these tools and resources here

NHS Employers

a range of best practice guidance and case studies, for the implementation of apprenticeship are available here

'Plan for Jobs' skills and employment programmes: information for employers

A range of government programmes, some of which offer financial incentives, are available for employers who are considering hiring employees, offering work experience or upskilling existing staff. Access here

Higher Technical Qualifications: provider delivery toolkit

This toolkit is designed to support providers in their delivery of Higher Technical Education, through the sharing of good practice and highlighting the benefits of offering an approved Higher Technical Qualification. Access here

Funding Apprenticeships as a Non Levy Paying Employer (Updated)

Apprenticeship Manager, Pam Case, helps you find the best way to fund your apprenticeship programmes.

2CC6EA1E-01C3-4B36-9C9E-2B4958BB5713_1_201_a.jpegPam Case, Apprenticeship Manager

There is a lot of support available, which I have summarised here, or from your chosen apprenticeship provider. This is just a summary – please do follow the links and read carefully. Having an apprentice in the team should be a great opportunity to develop a new or existing employee and train them into a specific role, but there are responsibilities as an employer that needs to be managed.

The ESFA YouTube channel has lots of excellent videos as a starting point - including how to register for the apprenticeship digital account service, adding users, reserving funds, recruiting an apprentice etc. It is vital that your business registers on this portal to access any funding at all.

Health Education England have also produced this document for help with reservations.

The reservation of funding pay for 95% of their training costs, payable to your chosen College or University or training provider. The employer is expected to fund the remaining 5%.

The levy reservation doesn’t pay the salary costs of your apprentice, or any expenses they might need as part of their work e.g. uniform, DBS check, travel to training etc. They also have to be paid for all the components of the programme, so whilst at work and studying.

If you work in Primary or Social Care in South Yorkshire & Bassetlaw you can approach the wider healthcare system for a levy transfer. This is where a large, levy-paying employer transfers to your digital account 100% of the apprenticeship cost. This is paid over the course of the apprenticeship and is then paid directly to the chosen training provider. In order to do this, please complete the attached form.

Pam Case SYB ICS Apprenticeship Project Manager ( arranges local transfers where a large employer is willing to do so.  Pam will also raise your interest with HEE North to request a possible transfer from further afield. There is no guarantee of funds though.

There are a couple of options to be matched with an employer who is definitely looking to transfer.

 1 - Co-op levy share site read their information and register your interest in receiving a match through the portal.

2 - The apprenticeship digital system itself now holds functionality to request a transfer. Details can be found here - and you can search here - Search funding opportunities (

If you would like to talk through this process please contact Pam Case or the Primary Care Workforce & Training Hub.